I have had “update.bin.tmp.partial” folder in root directory with WiFi continuously on for over 12 days, and no OTA update. I even left it plugged into a/c with WiFi on for 48 hours.
Don’t know if “update.bin.tmp.partial” folder is blocking updates or if Amazon just hasn’t gotten to my Voyage yet since it can take weeks (months?) for an OTA update to roll-out. YMMV
With 5.7.3 in the wings, I decided to end my update.bin.tmp.partial experiment since I want to install 220.127.116.11 and have update.bin.tmp.partial loaded against 5.7.3.
Details of my experiment:
- In September 2015, I put an empty folder named “update.bin.tmp.partial” in the root directory of my Kindle Voyage 5.6.5.
- When 5.7.2 was released around 2/2/2016, I turned WiFi on and left it on 24/7. I received no forced update, however, some reports suggest that 5.7.2 wasn’t pushed out to all Kindles OTA, but was more of a limited test run.
- 18.104.22.168 was released around 2/12/2016. I continued to leave WiFi on 24/7. In addition, I plugged my KV into a/c for 24-48 hours on more than one occasion to see if it would trigger an OTA update. Nope.
- Today, 3/6/2016, I deleted the update.bin.tmp.partial folder then went to get a snack. When I returned 10 minutes later, I was surprised to see my KV already auto-updating to 22.214.171.124. Was it a coincidence that Amazon chose to push the update to my KV less than 10 minutes after I deleted update.bin.tmp.partial?
- However, I have a friend who also had update.bin.tmp.partial on her KV, and nothing happened after she deleted it, so she updated to 126.96.36.199 manually.
- I now have update.bin.tmp.partial back on my KV 188.8.131.52. The folder survives re-boot. We’ll see what happens when 5.7.3 rolls out.
Apparently, dinner will also trigger an OTA update
- On March 6, I put an empty folder named “update.bin.tmp.partial” in the root directory of my Kindle Voyage 184.108.40.206. I turned WiFi on and left it on 24/7 for over a month. I also plugged my KV into a/c for 24-48 hours on more than one occasion to see if it would trigger an OTA update. Nope.
- Today, April 9, I deleted the update.bin.tmp.partial folder then went to eat dinner. When I returned an hour later, my KV had auto-updated itself to 5.7.3. Coincidence?
If anyone’s interested, update.bin.tmp.partial survives reboot on 5.7.4
(I didn’t have the patience or inclination to run this experiment again on 5.7.3, so I went ahead and updated to 5.7.4)
显然，在Kidnle根目录下创建update.bin.tmp.partial这个只读文件夹可以有效禁止Kindle自动升级。注意他的机型是Kinde Voyage，版本为220.127.116.11及之前的版本，Javen我的也是Kindle Voyage，目前版本为5.7.2，其余版本未测。
- 输入命令rename a update.bin.tmp.partial（将a文件夹重命名为update.bin.tmp.partial），回车；